Search Me: A Real Estate Marketing Online Blog

Tuesday

RSS Feeds for The Masses ... Baby Steps

Yes, I'm a raving madwoman. For the past two years I've been raving about RSS (Harvard on RSS Tech). Yes, you may have seen me around Atlanta telling everyone who would listen about the wonders of RSS and how we'd see it everywhere in the future. I even told it to those who wouldn't listen to me - but then again, it's hard to get me to shut up once I get started. But like most lunatics, no one would listen to me. Ahh, no longer.

I've been intrigued with RSS since I read my first blog about 2.5 years ago and saw links to RSS feeds or those orange XML buttons. I would always click on them and wonder what the heck they were; since I had never seen XML before. This led me to a lot of research and then even trying to learn XML - but that's a whole other story. Eventually I got the word of a feed reader from Research Buzz and have been addicted to the instant access that RSS gives you ever since. No longer do I have to troll sites for info - now the information comes to me!

When I started a personal blog about 1.5 years ago, I wanted RSS for my site. While Blogger offered Atom feeds not many feed readers could read them. Then FeedBurner launched about a year ago and I had an RSS feed burned of my Atom feed and it's been a love affair ever since. I won't even begin to tell you how I'm salivating over Feedburner's upgraded feed splicing abilities that add my Furl's to my website feed and even transforms it for Podcasting.

With the beta launch of Yahoo's: My Yahoo -which has a built in feed reader, last year, I knew it would be only a matter of time before Jane and Joe Public would be RSSing (is that a word?) . I won't even begin to explain how when I killed the IE/Outlook beast and gained a feed reader in Firefox and Thunderbird how excited I was. I would have done cartwheels, but I don't remember how to do them. And now that I read today that the RSS Market Share is increasing and MSN will be offering RSS feeds of it's search results, I'm getting all excited.

A few people let the MSN RSS cat out of the bag since it's still in the alpha version. But I'm meowing! Maybe someday soon when I tell people about RSS they'll know exactly what I mean. And I won't have to give analogies like I had to do with a certain gentleman at my business management software company who will remain nameless.

Technorati Tags: , , ,