Search Me: A Real Estate Marketing Online Blog

Tuesday

Is the Domain Name Business Booming Again??

At the software company I work for, one of the flash developers recently asked me if he could get his domain name: zee4speed.com back now that he had expired. (BTW: This developer is so Flash-tastic. In the virtual office of the new business management software we've developed he just added a flash -based email notifer like the outlook email notifier. So whenever a new message comes into the the unified inbox - the unified inbox can receive voicemails, emails and faxes - you get a little screen note saying new mail arrived. Cool!)

I asked him how old the name was and he told me he had the name since '98. A domain that old with as many links as he had to it - I was like "Dude, you can forget that one. It's probably gone already." Sure enough it was, by some "drug" company.

That got me thinking, with Google's Aging Delay for New Sites (which I'm still on the fence about, but am testing now) and the market for domain names with tons'o links - though Google's Update
seems to be putting the smack down - is the market for domain names increasing again?

The owner of the web hosting company I used to work for had sold the domain autos.com for 2.2 million a number of years ago. But as more domain name endings came about the market had dropped off for domain names.

I remember hosting customers asking me whether they should buyX domain name or Y domain name and I would tell them, hey it's only a small amount of money to buy and renew a domain you might as well. Especially since you never know what it might be worth to someone else.

And it seems now that they are worth something again huh??:

Search-Optimized Domain Portfolio Sells for $164 Million

Internet marketing firm Marchex Inc. has finalized a deal to pay a whopping $164.2 million for Name Development Ltd., which displays keyword advertising across a portfolio of more than 100,000 domains. The deal, along with the recent sale of a misspelled domain name for $112,000, offers evidence that mistyped URLs and other "accidental traffic" have become big business....

Ooh, I better make sure all my registrations are paid up - lol.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,